Beyond the optical attributes, this 400mm f/2.8 is also characterized by its advanced five stop-effective Image Stabilizer system, which has three separate stabilization modes to suit various shooting applications. Also complementing handling is a sophisticated ring-type USM, which provides quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus performance along with full-time manual focus override.
A customizable electronic focusing ring further contributes to precise manual focus control, by affording three focusing sensitivity levels for different applications. Additionally, this lens is weather-sealed for use in trying environmental conditions and it has a removable rotating tripod collar to benefit working atop a tripod or monopod.
- Super telephoto prime is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 640mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/2.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also affords significant control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- Super UD and fluorite elements are used to greatly reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to achieve greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Super Spectra and Air Sphere Coatings have been applied to individual elements to control lens flare and ghosting for greater contrast and color fidelity when working in strong lighting conditions.
- An Optical Image Stabilizer helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to five shutter speed stops to better enable working in low-light conditions and with slower shutter speeds. Three distinct IS modes are available: standard single-shot mode, a panning-optimized mode, and a mode that only activates the Image Stabilizer during the exposure.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with optimized focusing algorithms and a high-speed CPU, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- A customizable electronic focusing ring provides three sensitivity levels for how quickly and precisely the lens can manually focus.
- Focus Preset function is available to quickly recall a programmed focusing position.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens is sealed against dust and moisture for working in inclement environmental conditions and also features a fluorine coating on the front and rear elements to guard against water spots, smudges, or oil residue.
- The removable rotating tripod collar is included and benefits working with the lens atop a tripod or monopod.
- Compatible with optional EF 1.4X and EF 2X teleconverters.