The Fujifilm X-T30 is a quality-built, high performance, and compact mirrorless camera. X-T30 features the same image and video quality/performance as its larger sibling, the X-T3, but in a smaller and lighter body. When compared to the XT20, the XT30 not only brings improvements in still photography but also adds new features and quality/performance improvements for shooting video.
Noteworthy improvements for photography includes a higher-end 26.1-megapixel sensor, 30fps burst shooting at a crop of 1.25x, 20fps at full 26.1MP resolution, 2.36 million dot electronic viewfinder, Blackout-free high-speed continuous shooting, new X-Processor 4, an expanded AF area with 100% frame coverage (even with phase detect), and more; while video gets 4k 30fps recording, 8bit 4:2:0 digital recording to SD, and 10bit 4:2:2 F-log HDMI output.
The silver FUJIFILM X-T30 is a versatile mirrorless camera distinguished by advanced stills and video recording along with sleek and intuitive handling characteristics. Featuring a revised image sensor and processor, both high-resolution stills and 4K video can be recorded while an apt autofocus system delivers quick and accurate focusing performance.
The sensor, a 26.1MP APS-C-format X-Trans CMOS 4, features a back-illuminated design, to promote greater image quality throughout the sensitivity range, along with a 425-point phase-detection autofocus system for quick, precise AF performance and subject tracking. Complementing the imaging and focusing is the X-Processor 4, which uses four CPUs for faster image processing as well as continuous shooting up to 8 fps with a mechanical shutter, 30 fps shooting at a 1.25x crop and electronic shutter, and internal DCI/UHD 4K30 video recording.
Sharing a familiar aesthetic of FUJIFILM X-series cameras, the X-T30 sports classically inspired looks, has prominent physical controls and has a high-resolution 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder. Conversely, a rear 3.0″ 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD can also be used for live view shooting and larger image playback. Additionally, the X-T30 also sports built-in Bluetooth for wireless sharing and remote control.
- 26.1MP APS-C X-Trans BSI CMOS 4 Sensor and X-Processor 4
- Sharing a sensor with the professional-oriented X-T3, the X-T30 features an APS-C-format 26.1MP X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor, which has a back-illuminated design to afford smooth tonal rendering, improved low-light performance, and a low native ISO 160 setting. As an X-Trans sensor, it utilizes a randomized pixel array, too, which provides a high degree of image quality and sharpness due to the omission of an optical low-pass filter. Versus conventional pixel patterns, the X-Trans design more closely mimics the organic nature of film in order to produce nuanced colors and tonal transitions, while also reducing moiré and aliasing.
The sensor’s design also includes an expanded phase-detection autofocus system, which now has 425 selectable points that cover nearly the entire sensor area. This AF system delivers faster, more accurate focusing performance along with low-light sensitivity down to EV -3. Complementing the imaging and focusing capabilities, an updated X-Processor 4 is also featured, and delivers faster focus response for subject tracking and also supports Face- and Eye-Detection AF when working in AF-C mode and when recording video.
The X-Processor 4 also utilizes four CPU units for faster image processing and it benefits overall performance with faster AF and tracking speeds. Quick continuous shooting is possible, up to 8 fps with a mechanical shutter or 30 fps with an electronic shutter and a 1.25x crop, and internal UHD 4K30 video recording with F-Log is also supported.
- UHD and DCI 4K Video Recording
- More than a stills camera, the X-T30 offers an enticing array of video capabilities, including internal UHD 4K30 video recording at up to 200 Mb/s—and simultaneous external and internal recording is possible. DCI 4K30 and Full HD 1080p120 recording is also possible, and video files can be saved using either MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 or HEVC/H.265 compressions, and 4K. Greatly benefitting overall video performance, the speed of the quad-CPU X-Processor 4 enables fast read speeds when recording 4K video, which helps to reduce rolling shutter distortion when filming moving subjects.
The X-T30 also includes the F-Log gamma setting, which provides a flat picture for use in advanced color grading software during editing. This maximizes the potential dynamic range in difficult scenes and image adjustments can be made, as well, to highlight tone, shadow tone, color, and sharpness. When working in F-Log, an updated noise reduction algorithm is available along with 4K inter-frame noise reduction, and the minimum sensitivity has been lowered to ISO 640 to suit working in a broader range of scene types.
- Body Design
- A bright and clear means for eye-level viewing, a 2.36m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder offers a 0.62x magnification with a fast refresh rate, wide viewing angle, and adjustable diopter settings. The viewfinder remains blackout-free while shooting up to the top 30 fps shooting rate, and a unique Sports Finder Mode can also be employed, which highlights a 16.6MP crop area of the sensor in order to allow you to see outside of the image frame.
- In addition to the EVF. a rear 3.0″ 1.04m-dot LCD touchscreen is available for intuitive live view shooting, playback and review, and settings adjustment and menu navigation. The screen has a two-way tilting design, too, to suit working from high and low angles regardless if shooting with a horizontal or vertical orientation.
- The top plate incorporates a series of dials and levers for fast, intuitive control over exposure settings, including a shutter speed dial that offers direct shutter speed adjustment, a mode dial, and an exposure compensation dial to choose +/- 3 EV in 1/3 steps, while a command dial position expands the range to +/- 5 EV for further control.
- Front and rear command dials integrate a push function for easier use and settings selection and function buttons can be assigned to control a range of settings.
- A dedicated Focus Lever provides faster, more intuitive control over selecting specific focus points while shooting.
- Integrated Bluetooth 4.2 low energy allows you to wirelessly share images to a mobile device or use the device to remotely control the camera.
- Film Simulation and Grain Effect Modes
- Taking advantage of FUJIFILM’s vast history in traditional film-based photography, the X-T30 integrates several Film Simulation modes. These modes mimic the look and feel of some of FUJIFILM’s classic film types, including Eterna, which copies the look of cinematic film with understated colors and richer shadow tones; Acros, which offers smooth tones, deep blacks, and fine detail; and Classic Chrome, which is designed to deliver muted tones and a deep color reproduction, similar to that of a dated slide film. Several other effects are also available for both monochrome and color shooting. In addition to simulating specific film types, a Grain Effect mode is also available to replicate the look of old film photos with an organic textured appearance, which is especially noticeable when printing.
The next leap in expressive capability
The “Little Giant – X-T30” offers premium image quality at a more accessible price than ever before. The Fujifilm X-T30 features the X Series’ fourth-generation X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor. Boasting a resolution of 26.1MP, the sensor uses the unique X-Trans colour filter array to reduce moiré and false colours without the need for an optical low pass filter. Its back-illuminated structure enhances image quality while reducing noise levels and extending the sensitivity to ISO160.
The new X-Processor 4 has a quad-core design to utilise the full potential of the X-Trans CMOS 4 sensor. This combination of processor and sensor is behind the enhanced Film Simulation mode, which enables you to achieve richer colours and tones, as well as significant improvement in the camera’s ability to track a moving subject, faster and more accurate autofocus, and enhanced 4K/30P video capabilities.
- 26.1MP APS-C X-Trans BSI CMOS 4 Sensor
- X-Processor 4 with Quad CPU
- DCI and UHD 4K30 Video; F-Log Gamma
- 2.36m-Dot OLED Electronic Viewfinder
- 3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Tilting LCD Touchscreen
- 425-Point Phase-Detection Autofocus
- Extended ISO 80-51200, 30 fps Shooting
- Bluetooth and Wi-Fi; Sports Finder Mode
XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS Lens
Bundled with the camera body is a versatile zoom that covers many different scenarios. The XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS lens features a 27-84mm equivalent focal length that covers wide angle to telephoto perspectives with ease. The f/2.8-4 maximum aperture range ensures both speed and compactness in terms of design and it features three aspherical and one extra low dispersion element for combating aberrations. Also, a linear autofocus motor ensures fast performance while an optical image stabilizer will limit the effects of camera shake.
Faster and more accurate AF performance
The number of phase detection pixels in the sensor has been increased to 2.16 million and the phase detection AF area covers the entire frame (approx. 100%), enabling fast and accurate autofocusing. The low-light limit for phase detection AF has been also expanded from +0.5EV in the previous-generation camera systems to -3.0EV.
Mechanical Shutter and Electronic Shutter
The Fujifilm X-T30 can shoot continuously at up to 8.0fps in full resolution when using the mechanical shutter and offers the Sport Viewfinder mode, which shoots pictures within a cropped area representing approx. 16.6 megapixels (1.25x crop), marked within the viewfinder view, so that you can check the movements of a subject even before it comes into the shooting frame. By using the electronic shutter, the FUJIFILM X-T30 supports blackout-free high-speed continuous shooting of up to 30fps*. When the electronic shutter is selected, you can also choose the Silent mode.
“Face- and eye-detection AF” for better portrait photographs
The tracking performance of the “Face- and Eye-detection AF” is twice as good as previous models. The Fujifilm X-T30 maintains accurate focus on people from the front or side in scenes which were notoriously difficult to track. The eye-detection AF is also supported in the AF-C mode, focus-tracking subject’s eyes in portraiture that involves movements. The eye-detection AF can be configured to priority-focus on either right or left eye or the eye closest to the camera. It is a powerful tool in portrait photography, which demands focus accuracy with a shallow depth of field.
“Face Select” function to make sure to capture an important subject
When there are multiple faces within the frame, you can select a specific person on the touchscreen panel or with the Focus Lever so that autofocus and exposure settings are optimized for the subject. “Face Select” is a perfect tool when shooting commemorative photos or shooting a specific person in a large crowd in sports or other events.
4K/30P Video Recording and High-Resolution Digital Audio
Thanks to the 4th generation image sensor and processor, the Fujifilm X-T30 boasts superb 4K video recording features. It actually records in 6K (6240×3510) to produce stunning quality in 4K (3810×2160). The camera also supports the DCI format (17:9), which gives an even more cinematic look to your videos. The FUJIFILM X-T30 adopts high-resolution audio recording without the need for additional accessories. Finally, F-Log recording and 4:2:2 10bit output via the HDMI port are also supported making the camera suitable to produce more professional, fully fledged videos
The face- and eye-detection AF during Video Recording
Face and eye-detection AF is also available when recording video. Together with the “Face Select” function, you can switch who is in focus while recording by using the touchscreen panel or the Focus Lever.
4K video with Film Simulation modes
You can shoot 4K movies using any of the Film Simulation modes. ETERNA, is particularly suitable for video thanks to its subdued colours and rich shadow tones, giving a cinematic look. ACROS delivers monochrome video with fine textures and rich gradation, while CLASSIC CHROME creates a unique atmosphere, reminiscent of vintage reversal films. Velvia gives an option of giving high saturation to video imagery.
Fujifilm’s unique Film Simulation modes
A total of 16 Film Simulation options are available, producing rich colours and tones that reflect your creative intentions just as if you were swapping between different types of photographic films. This is a function exclusive to Fujifilm, developed with the company’s colour presentation philosophy and know-how perfected over 80 years of manufacturing photographic film. Diverse options available include PROVIA and Velvia, named after FUJIFILM’s own photographic films, as well as ETERNA, which emulates the tones of motion pictures, CLASSIC CHROME, suitable for documentary photos, as well as two types of monochrome filters including ACROS.
Special effects that enhance your photographic expressions even further
The Fujifilm X-T30 offers various effects that can be combined with Film Simulation modes to enhance creative flair in colour tones and gradations. The special effects available include the Color Chrome effect, which produces deeper colours and gradation in subjects that contain highly saturated colours, which are notoriously difficult to photograph. The Monochrome Adjustment function faithfully reproduces warm and cool blacks in digital photos, which used to be achieved with specific photographic papers and developers. The Grain effect adds graininess, typically seen in film-based pictures, to digital photos to create an analogue-like texture. The camera also provides means of adjusting highlight tones, shadow tones, sharpness and other properties.
The Fujifilm X-T30’s reflects the X Series design philosophy.
Every element of the design has been made with the photographer in mind, from the dial-based operation to the compact, lightweight body. The FUJIFILM X-T30 uses the latest generation APS-C sensor to record every picture in the highest quality and has an aesthetically pleasing design that evokes a passion for capturing the moment, helping to immerse yourself into the world of photography.
In addition, the camera incorporates numerous convenient features such as the touchscreen rear LCD panel and a well-hidden, built-in flash.
Wide variety of shooting modes to suit any shooting conditions
You can choose from “Manual” to choose exposure settings yourself, “Aperture Priority” to prioritize the depth of field and Bokeh – background blur effect in your image, “Shutter Speed Priority” to ensure capturing motion in your subject or “Program” to leave the choice of aperture and shutter speed to the camera. You can also opt for the “Advanced SR Auto” for intelligent, fully-automatic shooting.
- Control Mode: You can select “Program,” “Shutter Speed Priority,” “Aperture Priority” and “Manual” by using a combination of the Shutter Speed Dial and the Aperture Ring on the lens. The Exposure Compensation Dial also allows you to adjust exposure by up to ±5 stops*.
- Auto Mode: When using the Advanced SR Auto mode, the camera automatically selects the optimum shooting settings from 58 preset scenes.
- Advanced SR Auto Mode: When the Advanced SR Auto mode is selected, the camera examines the scene and automatically selects optimum autofocus and exposure settings. This mode is useful for situations where it is difficult to determine the right exposure settings. You only need to press the shutter to obtain high-quality images and capturing perfect photo opportunities.
High-performance electronic viewfinder
The Fujifilm X-T30 features an EVF with approx. 2.36 million dots and the magnification ratio of 0.62x. This is brighter and a higher resolution than previous models, and offers a magnification ratio equivalent to DSLRs. With a display time lag of just 0.005 seconds and refresh rate of 100fps*, the EVF allows you to identify your subject’s movements quickly and accurately. Unlike a DSLR, the EVF helps you see exactly what the sensor will capture, with the effects of Film Simulation and exposure reflected in real time so that you can shoot without checking how the settings affect the final image.
Tilting touchscreen LCD monitor
The Fujifilm X-T30 features a 3.0-inch tilting touchscreen LCD monitor that has a 3:2 aspect ratio and approx. 1.04 million dots. The tilting design enables easy shooting from high and low angles. All shooting information, normally displayed on the monitor, can be turned off if you want to concentrate on taking the picture.
Equipped with a capacitive touchscreen panel, the Fujifilm Selection,” “Touch Shot” and “Touch Function”. This capability means you can move your focus area faster and more intuitively than ever before or simply use a swipe motion to scroll through images when reviewing.
Enhanced grip and handling.
The Fujifilm X-T30 uses an eight-direction lever instead of the traditional 4-way selecter buttons. This gives the camera’s compact body extra room to grip the camera for added stability. At the same time, the grip thickness has been increased so the camera sits more comfortably in your hand.
Automatic transfer with Bluetooth®
The Fujifilm X-T30 can be paired with a smart device with Bluetooth® for always-on connection*, enabling automatic transfer of pictures you take to share quickly on social media. The connection also enables other functions, such as remote shooting from a smartphone/computer, viewing of pictures taken on your device, and printing directly to an Instax printer.
Fujifilm Camera Remote
Fujifilm’s free application for use on smart devices has been updated making it easier to use. It offers a wide range of functions including automatic image transfer, remote shooting, individual photo upload, camera browsing and geo-tagging, using your devices’ GPS and time information.