A ring-type USM and high-speed CPU with optimized AF algorithms ensure silent, fast autofocusing. The lens is constructed with improved dust sealing and water resistance, while fluorine coatings on the front and rear lens reduce fingerprints and smearing.
A circular 9-blade diaphragm gives beautiful, soft backgrounds. A zoom lock lever locks the zoom position at the wide end for safe transporting while attached to an EOS DSLR camera over the shoulder.
The Canon EF 24-70mm focal length is one of the most popular for serious enthusiasts and professional photographers. The Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM zoom lens takes the performance of the previous model to the next level, offering the best image quality available in a lens of this zoom range.
Centered on the standard focal length of 50mm, it offers a zoom range from wide-angle to short telephoto, making it ideal for shooting everything from landscapes to portraits in one lens.
Spanning a popular and versatile range of focal lengths, the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM is a Canon L-series zoom commonly thought of as the workhorse of lenses. Ranging from wide-angle to portrait length, this lens is also distinguished by its constant f/2.8 maximum aperture to benefit working in difficult lighting conditions and to afford greater control over depth of field.
The lens is also characterized by its sophisticated optical design, which includes one Super UD element and two UD elements, which reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to realize a high degree of color accuracy and clarity. Three aspherical elements are also featured, and minimize distortion and spherical aberrations for improved sharpness.
Additionally, a Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to control flare and ghosting for high contrast and neutral color fidelity.
Balancing the refined optics, this 24-70mm f/2.8 also sports a ring-type USM and internal focusing mechanism to enable quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus performance, as well as full-time manual focus override. Additionally, this lens is weather-sealed and has a protective fluorine coating on the exposed elements for use in trying environmental conditions.
A ring-type USM autofocus motor means that you can focus quickly, near-silently and with precision. It also provides full-time manual focus so that you can adjust the focus with the focus ring, without first having to switch the lens to manual focus.
This allows you to adjust the focus accurately to ensure it is exactly where you want it to be for the most creative control possible.
Fluorine Lens Element Coatings
In the quest to keep the lens elements clean and thereby realize the best image quality possible, the front and rear lens elements have been coated with Fluorine. Fluorine is a non-stick coating that helps to repel dust and water and makes the elements easier to clean should any dirt find it’s the way there from raindrops or fingerprints.
For use with E-TTL II flash metering, this lens provides distance information back to any EOS DSLR camera body to help to refine the flash metering algorithms and ensure accurate flash exposure.
Super Spectra Coatings
The Super Spectra coating achieves two benefits – it cuts down internal flare and ghosting when light reflects off the digital sensor providing images with improved contrast. The coatings are optimized for each lens design, so it also ensures accurate colour balance across the entire EF lens range so that all lenses have a uniform color response.
The mechanical structure of the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L MkII lens has been improved to offer enhanced zoom durability and greater shake and shock resistance within the lens barrel. In addition to its enhanced optical performance, the size of the lens has been reduced by 10mm compared to the previous model, providing convenience and handling in everyday use.
Improved mechanical structure
The mechanical structure of the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L mkII lens has been improved to offer enhanced zoom durability and greater shake and shock resistance within the lens barrel.
More colour, less ghosting
Its optimized lens coatings help ensure good colour balance whilst minimising ghosting.
Compact lens size
The size of the lens has been reduced by 10mm compared to the previous model, providing convenience and handling in everyday use.
Clean design, clean lens
A Zoom Lock lever also enables users to lock the zoom position at the extreme wide end to prevent damage to the lens in transit, while a water and dust proof construction enables users to continue shooting in harsh conditions. The fluoride coatings on the front and rear lens also reduce fingerprints and smearing.
- Standard zoom is designed for full-frame Canon EF-mount DSLRs, however can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 38.4-112mm equivalent focal length range.
- Bright constant f/2.8 maximum aperture affords consistent illumination throughout the zoom range and also affords greater control over depth of field for working with selective focus techniques.
- One Super Ultra-Low Dispersion element and two ultra-low dispersion glass elements noticeably reduce color fringing and chromatic aberrations for high clarity and color fidelity.
- Three aspherical elements minimize spherical aberrations and distortions for improved sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Super Spectra coating has been applied to individual elements to minimize ghosting and flare for greater contrast and color neutrality when working in strong lighting conditions.
- A ring-type Ultrasonic Motor (USM), along with an internal focusing design, optimized focusing algorithms, and a high-speed CPU, is employed to deliver fast, precise, and quiet autofocus performance as well as full-time manual focus override.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing out of focus quality that benefits the use of shallow depth of field and selective focus techniques.
- Protective fluorine coating has been applied to the front and rear element to resist fingerprints and smudges and to make cleaning these elements significantly easier.
- As a member of the esteemed L-series, this lens is sealed against dust and moisture for working in inclement environmental conditions.
- Zoom lock lever secures the zoom position at the wide end to maintain a compact form factor and protect the lens when not in use.