Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens
One of the most versatile focal lengths available, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens pairs this classic lens design with enhancements to the AF system and physical design that make it both faster and smaller. Utilizing an STM stepping motor, this lens is ideal for both still and video shooting due to its speedy and smooth operation. Further benefitting video shooters, the STM motor also supports the Movie Servo AF mode on select DSLRs for precise and near-silent focusing. An updated exterior design includes a metal lens mount and a re-located focusing ring in order to accommodate the compact overall form factor. The 50mm f/1.8 is a classic, tested lens design, and thanks to enhanced autofocus and a svelte profile, this lens is ideal for everyday shooting in a wide variety of conditions.
The optical design of the Canon EF 50mm lens incorporates optimized coatings that help to reduce flare and ghosting for increased contrast and color neutrality. The f/1.8 maximum aperture is effective for low-light shooting as well as for controlling your focus plane for selective focus shooting. Seven rounded diaphragm blades further enhance the look of out of focus regions in an image, making it well-suited to portraiture and creative environmental shooting.
- Standard prime Canon EF 50mm lens is designed for use on full-frame EOS DSLR, however can also be used with APS-C-sized sensors where it will provide an 80mm equivalent focal length.
- Full-time manual focus override is available for fine-tuning your focus position for selective focus applications.
- Optimized lens coatings help to suppress lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast and more color-neutral imagery.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in low-light conditions and also enables precise control over the focus plane when working with selective focus techniques. Seven rounded diaphragm blades further contribute to a pleasing out of focus quality with shallow depth of field imagery.
- An enhanced exterior design features a metal lens mount for durability as well as a re-located focusing ring to maintain a compact 2.7 x 1.5″ form factor.
- A gear-type STM stepping motor is incorporated into the lens’ design to provide quick, smooth, and near silent autofocus performance. Additionally, this focusing mechanism also pairs well with EOS cameras featuring the Move Servo AF mode to enable continuous focusing performance when working in live view.