The Canon EF 800 mm is currently Canon’s longest telephoto lens, and an excellent choice for any long-distance application such as outdoor sports, wildlife, and photojournalism. Even though it has a long 800mm focal length, the magnesium alloy used in the construction for this lens makes it lighter then the 600mm f/4L lens, weighing in at less than 10 lb.
This lens shares the same lightweight, weather-resistant construction as the rest of the L-series super-telephoto lenses, as well as their improved control layout, weight distribution, and mechanical manual focus.
Its two-mode Image Stabilizer system allows the use of shutter speeds up to four times slower with no perceptible increase in image blur. Mode 1 is best used for still subjects while Mode 2 is optimized to pan with moving subjects.
For optimum visual performance, the lens incorporates four types of special optical elements: aspherical elements to correct spherical aberrations, and refracting Fluorite, UD and Super UD (ultra-low dispersion) elements to eliminate secondary chromatic aberrations.
An integrated, rotating tripod collar provides balance and stability and the rear drop-in filter slot and holder enable easy filter use. A large lens hood, hard case and lens caps are included.
An ultrasonic autofocus motor enables fast, smooth and quiet AF action, while a focus present function allows you to store focusing positions and return to them in an instant when needed. An AF stop button will pause autofocus with just a touch and manual focus override allows precise manual focus even in AF mode. A focus range limiter function lets you to save time by establishing a focus distance range for your specific subject.
- Magnesium alloy construction keeps its weight comparable to shorter telephoto lenses.
- Two-mode image stabilization; dual-axis camera shake correction or vertical axis only (for panning)
- AF Stop function shuts off autofocus when obstruction appears
- Focus preset function allows for returning to a specifically set focus by turning a ring in front of the focus ring.
- Focusing range limiter function lets you set the focus distance range for shorter focus times. The three ranges are 19.7′ – infinity (full range), 19.7 – 65.6′, and 65.6′ – infinity.
- Full-time manual focus override
- A tight seal structure ensures excellent dust and moisture resistant performance.
- Built-in rotatable tripod collar
- Fluorite, Super UD and UD (ultra-low dispersion) lens elements minimize aberrations and help to produce an overall sharp, high-contrast image.
- Super Spectra coatings reduce ghosting and flare.
- Circular aperture produces attractive background defocus.
- Compatible with Canon EF1.4x II and EF2x II Focal Length Extenders
The L-series is Canon’s flagship professional lens range, representing the best in precision-designed EF optics. L-series lenses combine superior performance with superlative handling, and are resistant to dust and moisture.
Four-Stop Image Stabilizer
Image Stabilizer (IS) technology allows the use of shutter speeds up to four times slower than normal, with no perceptible increase in image blur. Automatic panning detection turns off IS in either the horizontal or vertical direction when following moving subjects.
Aspherical, Fluorite, UD and Super-UD elements
For optimum visual performance, the lens incorporates four types of special optical elements: aspherical elements to correct spherical aberrations, and Fluorite, UD (ultra-low dispersion) and Super UD elements to eliminate secondary chromatic aberrations. The result is crisp, high-contrast and undistorted image quality, all the way to the edge of the frame.
Magnesium alloy build
At just 4.5kg, the EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM is a relatively lightweight super-telephoto lens, suitable for limited hand-held shooting. Its magnesium alloy build keeps its weight comparable to shorter telephoto lenses.
A ring-type ultrasonic motor drives autofocus extremely quickly, and in near silence. Excellent holding torque ensures the point of focus is reached accurately, without overshooting. Furthermore, full-time manual override is available, making it possible to adjust focus without leaving AF mode.
Super Spectra coating
Super Spectra coatings ensure accurate colour balance and enhance contrast. They also reduce flare and ghosting – a common problem caused by light bouncing off a camera’s sensor.
Smooth background blur
A virtually circular aperture diaphragm gives out of focus regions a softer, more uniform feel. Sharp foreground objects stand out against a smooth blurred background.