The Fujifilm GFX 50S stands out from the crowd of high-end digital cameras. It does so by incorporating a massive 51.4 megapixel digital medium format sensor into a camera body roughly the size of a full frame DSLR.
- Complementing the imaging assets is a truly versatile physical design that champions multiple ways of working with the camera. A removable 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder can be used for high-resolution eye-level viewing, and can be paired with an optional tilt adapter to permit working with the finder from various working angles. Alternatively, the rear 3.2″ 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD features a three-way tilting design that supports working from high and low angles, even when shooting in the vertical orientation.
Operability is further reinforced through the use of several dedicated dials for adjusting exposure settings, and a top LCD screen is also featured for quickly checking settings and exposure data. Additionally, the GFX 50S sports a magnesium alloy build that is both lightweight and durable, and is also dust- and weather-sealed, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for working in trying environmental conditions.
The image processor and sensor also lend a versatile edge to the system, and permit shooting continuously up to 3 fps or for recording Full HD 1080p video at 29.97, 25, 24, and 23.98 fps frame rates. Film Simulation modes, including a Color Chrome Effect to produce subtle tonality among highly saturated colors, can be used in conjunction with video recording, too, to lessen the need for color correction during post production..
- Body Design
- Magnesium alloy body construction is both lightweight and durable, and the camera system is sealed in 58 places to render it weather- and dust-resistant, as well as freezeproof down to 14°F, for use in inclement conditions.
- Based on a modular concept, a removable 3.69m-dot OLED electronic viewfinder is included for high-resolution, 0.85x-magnification eye-level viewing, and can be paired with an optional EVF-TL1 Tilt Adapter for positioning the finder at a variety of working angles.
- The removable EVF connects with the camera body via the hot shoe, and the EVF features its own hot shoe to maintain compatibility with optional external flashes.
- A 3.2″ 2.36m-dot touchscreen LCD is also available for image playback, menu navigation, and live view shooting. This LCD features a unique tilting design that moves both 45° downward and 90° upward for shooting from high and low angles, and also tilts 60° to the side to benefit shooting in the vertical orientation when in live view.
- A series of dedicated dials are placed about the body for independently adjusting aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
- The aperture ring on GF lenses and the ISO dial on the camera feature a C (Command) position, and the Shutter Speed dial has a T position, to enable adjusting these settings via the front and rear control dials.
- A 1.28″ sub LCD monitor is also featured on the top plate for settings confirmation and exposure data.
- Included NP-T125 rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides approximately 400 shots per charge when Auto Power Save is on.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows for direct wireless sharing of files as well as remote camera control from a linked mobile device.
- 117-Point Autofocus System
- A contrast-detection autofocus system is employed that uses 117 total points, which can be further divided into 425 points, for notable focusing speed and accuracy that is especially beneficial when working with the inherent shallow depth of field of medium format. Focus point selection is possible using the integrated Focus Lever for intuitive switching between points and, alternatively, the rear touchscreen can also be used for selecting precise focus areas. Face and Eye Detection AF are also available to benefit portraiture, and an electronic depth of field scale can be used for more critical selective focus. Additionally, focus peaking is available in manual focus mode as well as frame magnification for more critical focusing.
- Other Camera Features
- The FUJIFILM G lens mount features a short focal flange distance of just 26.7mm to better facilitate adapting lenses and to allow for reduced back focusing distances to better prevent vignetting and promote edge-to-edge sharpness with the GF series of lenses.
- Film Simulation modes allow you to reproduce the look and feel of several of FUJIFILM’s film types, including Provia, Velvia, Astia, Classic Chrome, Pro Neg. Hi, Pro Neg. Standard, Acros, Monochrome, and Sepia. Additionally, Grain Effect can be adjusted as well as Classic Chrome effect to fine-tune the look of imagery.
- Mechanical focal plane permits working with shutter speeds from 60 min. up to 1/4000 sec., and an electronic shutter allows the use of shutter speeds up to 1/16000 sec. for working in bright light conditions.
- Interval shooting is possible for up to 999 consecutive frames with a 1 sec. to 24 hour delay between exposures, as well as up to a 24 hours shutter delay.
- Multiple Exposure mode lets you shoot two consecutive overlaid frames, and the first frame will be shown on the rear LCD to aid in alignment for the second exposure.
- Dual UHS-II SD memory card slots are featured, and permit saving imagery in a sequential manner, backup/duplicate manner, or in a sorted manner to segregate JPEG and raw files.
- A variety of file formats are available depending on your workflow needs, and include uncompressed and compressed raw file types; Super Fine, Fine, and Normal JPEG settings; and TIFF files can be output via in-camera raw file development.
- A voice memo function lets you solely record your voice for up to 30 seconds at a time for making notes or keeping track of shooting information.
- 3D Electronic Level can be used to ensure the accuracy of horizontal and vertical lines within your composition.
- Tethered shooting is possible using X Acquire software to send images from the camera to a hot folder on your computer for further editing. Alternatively, the Tether Shooting Plug-in PRO for Adobe Photoshop Lightroom and HS-V5 for Windows operating systems are also available.
- 51.4MP 43.8 x 32.9mm CMOS Sensor
- X-Processor Pro Image Processor
- Removable 3.69m-Dot OLED EVF
- 3.2″ 2.36m-Dot Tilting Touchscreen LCD
- 117-Point Contrast-Detection AF System
- Extended ISO 50-102400, 3 fps Shooting
- Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 30 fps
- Multi Aspect Ratio Shooting
- Film Simulation Modes
- Weather-Sealed Magnesium Alloy Body