All the Reach, Half the Weight
Compact, Lightweight Design
A sophisticated mixture of technologies makes this super-telephoto a relatively sleek lens, opening up new possibilities for a focal length that was previously relegated to tripod/monopod usage.
- Phase Fresnel element not only compensates for chromatic aberrations and color fringing but it also replaces several conventional glass elements to promote a more compact and lightweight optical layout.
- Modest f/6.3 maximum aperture strikes a balance between a practically bright design and a lightweight construction.
- Compared to the former F-mount 800mm f/5.6 lens, which weighs over 10 lb, this new Z-mount 800mm f/6.3 lens is half the weight at 5.25 lb. Additionally, the mirrorless-specific design also contributes to a shorter overall lens length, measuring just over 15″ long, compared to the former lens that measures 18″-long.
- Helping to virtually eliminate chromatic aberrations, color fringing, and comatic aberrations, this lens features three ED (extra-low dispersion) glass elements, along with one SR (short-wavelength refractive) element.
- The SR element features a specialized high-dispersion design that refracts wavelengths shorter than blue; this helps achieve truly accurate color rendering and also aids in making the lens design more compact.
- Nano Crystal Coat has been applied for well-rounded anti-glare protection at all angles, helping to suppress ghosting, reflections, and flare for higher contrast and more accurate color response when working in strong lighting and backlit conditions.
Autofocus and Vibration Reduction
- Multi-focus system incorporates two separate AF drive units, which are synchronized, to deliver especially fast and accurate autofocus. This system uses stepping motors, which offer impressively smooth and quiet AF performance that is well-suited to both stills and video applications.
- Full-time manual focus override is also possible and an internal focusing design is used, where only the internal lens groups are moved during focusing, to maintain the overall length of the lens during use and to promote faster focusing speeds.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization reduces the appearance of camera shake by approximately 5 stops to better enable handheld shooting in low-light situations.
- Synchro VR is also supported when paired with compatible cameras featuring sensor-shift VR, which combines in-body VR with optical VR for improved results of up to 5.5 stops of compensation.
Professional Handling and Construction
- Physical design focuses the center of gravity around the tripod mount for smoother, more responsive panning, especially when working atop a tripod or monopod. The tripod mount also rotates for easier switching between vertical and horizontal shooting orientations.
- Advanced weather sealing includes rubber gaskets to prevent dust and moisture ingress, the lens body is made from durable, lightweight magnesium alloy, and the exposed elements have a fluorine coating that repels dirt and oils and is easier to clean.
- Compatible with optional Z-Teleconverter TC-1.4x and TC-2x to further extend the reach of this lens.
- Intuitive “no-look” control layout puts all of the frequently-used buttons and dials in easy-to-reach locations to prevent the need to move your eye from the viewfinder.
- Store a focusing position using the Memory Set button so you can instantly return to this by position by rotating the Fn ring-perfect for capturing fleeting movements.
- Two customizable L-Fn buttons can be set to configure subject tracking, AF lock, image playback, or other modes. The L-Fn2 button is also accessible from four different locations on the barrel for easy reach.
- Focus limiter switch can constrain the focus range to 32.8′ to infinity or from the full focusing range of 16.4′ to infinity.
- Programmable Control Ring can also be used to control aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation.
- Kensington lock support for securing the lens in place during remote shooting sessions.
- Uses drop-in 46mm filters via the included filter holder.
All the reach.
Half the weight.
Bird, wildlife, aviation and sports photographers, your moment of change has arrived. Experience the freedom of shooting at monumental distances without sacrificing mobility. Pack lighter and cover more ground. Shoot handheld while you’re on the move. Track fast subjects with fluid precision and rock-steady VR. All with the extraordinary image quality of an S-Line NIKKOR Z lens at a price that’s beyond extraordinary.
*The NIKKOR Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S is approximately 50% lighter than the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR when used with the Mount Adapter FTZ.
- S-LinePremium Optics
- 800mmSuper-Telephoto Prime
- 5.25 lbsLightweight
- PFPhase Fresnel Element
- VRImage Stabilization (5.5 Stops)1,2
- FXFull-Frame Z Cameras
800mm. Conquer distance.
See even farther with Z teleconverters.
Tight compositions with DX Crop Mode.
More reach with
Even the smallest vibrations can soften details. Nikon’s powerful in-lens optical VR compensates for vibrations—an effect equivalent to shooting at a shutter speed up to 5.0 stops* faster. When used with the Z 9, Synchro VR combines the in-lens and in-camera systems for up to 5.5 stops of VR.*Based on CIPA Standard; in NORMAL mode; this value is achieved when attached to a mirrorless camera equipped with a 35mm film size image sensor.
Cut through glare.
Fast, quiet autofocus.
Nothing holding you back.
Advanced weather sealing.
Rubber gaskets keep dust, dirt and moisture out of moving parts, including the lens mount. The barrel is robust magnesium alloy, an ideal balance of strength and low weight. The front element has Nikon’s nonstick Fluorine Coat, which repels oil, moisture and smudges and easily wipes clean.Perfect dustproof and waterproof performance is not guaranteed under all conditions.
Recall stored focus positions.
Brilliant. By design.
Phase FresnelPhase Fresnel (PF) lens elements effectively compensate for chromatic aberration and ghosting when combined with ordinary glass lens elements. The PF lens element is based upon the Phase Fresnel lens, which appears to have a series of concentric circles engraved onto it. Utilizing a Phase Fresnel lens element allows Nikon engineers to use fewer lens elements, resulting in a more compact and lightweight lens. Due to the characteristics of a PF (Phase Fresnel) lens that utilizes the photo diffraction phenomenon, when there is a strong light source within the frame or when light enters the lens from outside of the frame, ring-shaped colored flare may occur according to shooting conditions. This phenomenon can be minimized with “PF Flare Control” to be included in Capture NX-D (ver.1.1.0 or later). For more information, see software Help/manual. Capture NX-D is available from the Nikon website. Be sure to keep your software up to date.
Vibration ReductionA Nikon in-lens technology that improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. Lenses that offer VR will feature the abbreviation VR on the lens barrel.
ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) GlassAn optical glass developed by Nikon that is used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
Short-Wavelength Refractive LensSR is a high- and specialized-dispersion glass lens that refracts light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. By controlling short-wavelength light, the lens is able to achieve highly precise chromatic aberration compensation so that the colors in your images are more accurately reproduced. It also allows for more flexible optical designs, which allows for compact, lighter lenses to be designed.
Stepping MotorNIKKOR Z lenses use a stepping motor for fast, accurate, smooth, quiet autofocus with reduced wobbling. This quiet drive system makes the lenses ideal for use when shooting video.
IF LensA NIKKOR lens in which only the internal lens group shifts during focusing. Thus, IF NIKKORS do not change in size during AF operation, allowing for compact, lightweight lenses capable of closer focusing distances. These lenses will be designated with the abbreviation IF on the lens barrel.
A/MA/M stands for Auto-Priority Manual Mode. This mode also enables an easy transition from autofocus to manual during AF operation. However, mode switch sensitivity has been altered to reduce the possibility of sudden unintentional switching to manual focus while shooting.
Electromagnetic Diaphragm MechanismAn electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel provides highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting.
Fluorine CoatPhotographers need gear that can withstand the elements. Nikon’s fluorine coat effectively repels dust, water droplets, grease or dirt, ensuring easy removal even when they adhere to the lens surface. Nikon’s fluorine coat endures a high frequency of lens surface wiping and its anti-reflective effect also contributes to the capture of clear images.
*The cameras compatible with this function are the Z 9, Z 7II and Z 6II only at the timing of the product release. When using the function, the camera’s firmware update to the latest version is required.
1When combined with the Z 9, the effect of 5.5 stops is achieved with Synchro VR activation. An effect of 5.0 stops is achieved with the lens alone.
2Based on CIPA Standard; in NORMAL mode; this value is achieved when attached to a mirrorless camera equipped with a 35mm film size image sensor.