Complementing the optical performance is an equally adept Hyper Sonic Motor, which provides fast, smooth, and near-silent autofocus performance.
This focusing motor also enables full-time manual focus override at any time just by rotating the focus ring for refined manual control and focusing as close as 10.9″. The lens barrel is constructed using a Thermally Stable Composite material, which supports working in a wide variety of temperatures and conditions, and the lens mount is constructed from brass for long-term durability and mounting accuracy.
- As part of the Art line within Sigma’s Global Vision series, this lens’ is designed to achieve truly notable optical performance and is ideally suited for creative and artistic applications.
- Prime wide-angle 20mm f/1.4 lens is designed for full-frame Leica L mount mirrorless cameras, and can also be used with DX models where it will provide a 30mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.4 maximum aperture is well-suited for working in low-light conditions and also provides greater control over the focus position when using shallow depth of field techniques.
- Two FLD, five SLD, and two aspherical elements have been incorporated within the lens design to correct for chromatic aberrations throughout the entire focusing range and help to ensure high image sharpness, clarity, and contrast regardless of focus point or aperture setting. This optical design also helps to control distortion and limit vignetting.
- A Super Multi-Layer Coating has been applied to lens elements in order to minimize lens flare and ghosting and contribute to producing contrast-rich and color-neutral imagery, even in backlit conditions.
- The integrated HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) realizes quick and quiet autofocusing, which is further complemented by an optimized AF algorithm to produce smoother focusing performance. The HSM also permits full-time manual focus control simply by rotating the focus ring at any time.A rounded nine-blade diaphragm helps to produce an attractive out-of-focus quality.
- Fixed petal-shaped lens hood helps to reduce lens flare when working in strong lighting conditions and also offers some protection to the front element of the lens.
- The lens is constructed using a Thermally Stable Composite (TSC) material, along with traditional metals, for greater precision and use in wide temperature variations.
- The bayonet mount is constructed from brass for ensured accuracy and durability.
Exceptional in low light
The fast wide open f/1.4 maximum aperture and wide 20mm focal length makes the lens extremely powerful in low light. By sending about 16 times more light to the sensor than a kit lens you will be able to shoot at faster shutter speeds, while the wide focal length ensures minimum camera/lens movement blur.
Beautiful bokkeh with shallow depth of field
The fast and wide open f/1.4 aperture creates a shallow depth of field, while the rounded nine-blade diaphragm helps to produce silky smooth out-of-focus bokkeh.
Fast, smooth, and near-silent autofocus with manual override
The lens integrates Sigma’s Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) to ensure silent, high-speed, and smooth autofocusing. At any time during AF, users may access MF simply by rotating the focus ring. This feature makes faster focus adjustment possible, since there is no need to use the AF/MF focus mode switch. Also, the optional SIGMA USB DOCK allows the user to set the lens to conventional full-time manual focus override.
Exceptional optical quality
The Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art utilises a combination of two “F” Low Dispersion (FLD) elements, a Super Multi-Layer Coating, two aspherical lens elements, and five Special Low Dispersion elements to help to achieve the best optical performance and colour accuracy possible.
Great for videos
The fast and near-silent autofocus, exceptional optical quality, ultra wide-angle focal length and shallow depth of field makes the Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG Art a great lens for creative video shoots.