Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Canon Sport Lens
The Sigma 500 F4 DG OS HSM CANON SPORTS lens is the first prime telephoto DSLR lens in Sigma’s critically acclaimed Sports line. Designed for professional photographers, the Sigma 500 F4 DG OS HSM CANON SPORT is a rugged dust and splash proof lens created to weather the harsh conditions that many photographers find themselves in when shooting outdoors. Exceptional image quality is achieved through rigorous optical design testing while autofocus and quality is maintained when paired with the Sigma TC-1401 1.4X and TC-2001 2X teleconverter.
An advanced Optical Stabilizer (OS) touts a two mode switch, #1 for handheld photography, #2 for panning and tracking vertically and horizontally. The new Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) touts 1.3X the torque of previous models for fast and snappy focusing while the state-of-the-art electromagnetic diaphragm is included for Nikon mounts and provides a new degree of performance for high-speed shooting. USB Lens Dock and Sigma Optimization Pro allow for lens customization including personalized focus limiters, 4 zone micro focus tuning, OS preview behavior, AF performance enhancement. Transverse chromatic aberration is greatly controlled through optical design and 500mm F4 Art allows for rear filters to be used.
- As part of the Sports line within Sigma’s Global Vision series, this lens’ is designed to offer excellent optical performance, speed, and other customizable features that make it an ideal choice for wildlife, sports, action, and other fast-moving subjects.
- The super telephoto “Sigma 500 F4” DG OS HSM CANON SPORT prime lens is designed for full-frame format Sigma SA-mount cameras, and can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 750mm equivalent focal length.
- A relatively fast f/4 maximum aperture provides excellent illumination for a lens of this focal length.
- One SLD and two FLD elements have been incorporated within the lens design to correct for chromatic aberrations throughout the entire focusing range and help to ensure high image sharpness, clarity, and contrast regardless of focus point or aperture setting. This optical design also helps to control distortion and limit vignetting.
- A Super Multi-Layer Coating has been applied to lens elements in order to minimize lens flare and ghosting and contribute to producing contrast-rich and color-neutral imagery, even in backlit conditions.
- The integrated HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) realizes quick and quiet autofocusing, which is further complemented by an optimized AF algorithm to produce smoother focusing performance. A dedicated switch on the barrel of the lens provides multiple AF modes, including a focus recall setting and AF off. The HSM also permits full-time manual focus control simply by rotating the focus ring at any time. Two manual focus modes are available, the standard AF/MF option and an MO setting that switches the lens into manual even during continuous AF.
- Optical Stabilizer system can compensate for approximately 4 stops of shutter speed for sharper images. Two modes are available, one for general use and one for panning, which uses Intelligent OS for more effective panning in any direction.
- Compatible with Sigma Global Vision Teleconverters, this lens can be extended into a 700mm f/5.6 lens with the 1.4x teleconverter or a 1000mm f/8 lens with the 2x teleconverter.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm helps to produce an attractive out-of-focus quality.
- Drop-in filter system works with 46mm filters. An optional RCP-11 Circular Polarizer filter is designed specifically for the lens and can be rotated while it is inserted.
- The Sigma 500 F4 DG OS HSM CANON SPORT lens barrel is constructed using a magnesium alloy that is lightweight and durable, which allows this lens to perform in a wide range of situations.
- The bayonet mount is constructed from brass for ensured accuracy and durability.
- The lens hood is made of carbon fiber, a lightweight but strong material that will perform in tough conditions.
- A rotating tripod foot helps keep this lens secure during shoots and features antistatic nickel plating to improve durability.
- It features click stops every 90° and can be turned off with a de-clicking switch for smooth movement. The lens also comes with a dedicated strap for the tripod foot which limits strain on the camera mount.
- Dust- and splash-proof construction with rubber sealing to protect the mount and a water– and oil-repellent coating on the front and rear elements.
- The Sigma 500 F4 DG OS HSM CANON SPORT lens is compatible with the optional Sigma USB Dock for fine-tuning different lens characteristics and updating its firmware.