The Traverse TR-553-228 Compact Aluminum Tripod with Ball Head from Davis & Sanford combines a lightweight (2.6 lb) tripod with a ball head that can hold 10 lb, and reach a maximum height of 53″. The tripod’s legs can be inverted 180° so that the ball head is concealed within the legs, making the folded height only 12″ long.
The Arca-type compatible ball head has a locking knob to control the ball movement and a separate locking knob for the panning movement. It sits atop 5-section aluminum legs which have twist locks, allowing for quick adjustment to their height.
The center column’s height is also adjusted by twist locks, and it has a ballast hook on the bottom of the column for extra stability. A padded carrying case is included to protect your tripod during transport.
- The ballast hook allows you to hang a weight, such as a sandbag or camera bag, providing additional stability when you’re operating with heavy loads, on uneven ground, or in windy conditions.
- Each leg is independently adjustable, and can be locked in three different angles.
- Ball head features one bubble level to help achieve level horizons.
- Load Capacity: 10 lb
- Max Height: 53″
- Min Height: 12.5″
- Folded Length: 12″
- Leg Sections: 5
- Weight: 2.6 lb
- Arca-Type Compatible Ball Head
- Twist Locks
Photographers using mirrorless or lightweight DSLR systems don’t necessarily need to spend a fortune on a good travel tripod with a high capacity–that’s where the Davis & Sanford Traverse TR-553-228 comes in. The tripod can fold down to just a foot–so you can easily toss it into any backpack.
Weighing just 2.6 pounds, you won’t really notice it much in your bag either. The 10 lb. capacity and 53 inch maximum height are far from best in class, but for about $100, it’s a steal. The 12.5″ minimum shooting height is a boost for shooting macro as well.
But the saying “you get what you pay for” still applies. While this tripod offers excellent performance for the price, it is more prone to camera shake, partially due to the five leg sections and the aluminum construction. A weight hook on the center column helps, since you can add your bag to the hook and instantly add some stability. While this model may not be the best for shooting on a windy day, it’s a very compact yet well-built tripod that will get the job done for an affordable price.
About this item
- Only weighing 2.6lbs, the TR553-P228 is perfect when travelling or use outdoors with DSLR & Mirrorless cameras mounting to a ball head which has a capacity of 10lbs
- Equipped with 5 section legs, with freeze proof rubberized twist leg locks allowing for a maximum height of 53 inches and when folded 12 inches
- Easy glide centerpost to achieve maximum height with twist lock
- Dual control ball head, with calibrated base and bubble level, allows you to achieve optimal stability with every set up. The Arca-Swiss compatible release plate allows you to efficiently mount and remove your camera from the tripod, making for an efficient set and break down
- Padded carrying bag