An especially sleek portrait-length prime, the 56mm f/1.4 DC DN is part of Sigma’s Contemporary series of lenses, and is designed for use with APS-C-format Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras. The lens is characterized by its bright f/1.4 maximum aperture, which suits working in difficult lighting conditions and also offers improved control over depth of field for isolating subjects and working with selective focus techniques.
The optical design utilizes two aspherical elements and one SLD element, which help to reduce both spherical and chromatic aberrations for greater sharpness and clarity. A Super Multi-Layer Coating has also been applied to suppress flare and ghosting in order to achieve more contrast and color accuracy when working in strong lighting conditions. Complementing the optics is a stepping AF motor, which suits both photo and video applications due to its quick, precise, and near-silent performance.
- Portrait-length prime is designed for APS-C-format Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras and provides an 84mm equivalent focal length.
- Bright f/1.4 maximum aperture excels in low-light conditions and also affords increased control over depth of field for achieving selective focus effects.
- One SLD glass element reduces color fringing and chromatic aberrations in order to achieve greater clarity and color accuracy.
- Two aspherical elements control distortion and spherical aberrations, which provides greater sharpness and more accurate rendering.
- A Super Multi-Layer Coating has been applied to lens elements in order to minimize lens flare and ghosting and contribute to producing contrast-rich and color-neutral imagery, even in backlit conditions.
- A stepping AF motor benefits both photographers and videographers with its fast, precise, and near-silent performance.
- A rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- The bayonet mount is constructed from brass for ensured accuracy and durability. Additionally, rubber sealing is incorporated in the mount design to render it dust- and splash-resistant.
Third addition to the f/1.4 Series following the 30mm and 16mm lenses
The smallest mid-telephoto lens in its class*
The first of the series is the standard lens 30mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary and the second is the wide-angle lens 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary. The third addition is this smallest mid-telephoto lens in its class, 56mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary.
While retaining the compact, lightweight, and outstanding image quality concepts of the Contemporary line, thanks to Sigma’s leading-edge technology, this lens provides the amount of bokeh and admirable brightness expected from f/1.4 lenses even in the mid-telephoto range. This addition completes the large aperture series comprised of portable wide-angle, standard, and telephoto lenses.
- E-Mount Lens/APS-C Format
- 87mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- One SLD Element
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Stepping Motor AF System
- Weather-Sealed Construction
- Rounded 9-Blade Diaphragm